Saturday, September 24, 2005

I placed second in my division (officially third but the overall winner was in my age group so I have a 2nd place glass) at the Black Diamond Half Ironman race even though my times were not what I was hoping for as I was almost 20 minutes slower than last year! The racing conditions were ideal -- not too hot but sunny and beautiful.

Pre-Race
Race started at 9:00 and we got there about 7:00 and scored a sweet parking spot in Nolte Park. It was about 36 degrees there in the morning. Fortunately, our friend Michele came to support, nap and spectate with her Vanagon and turned on her Coleman gas heater so we had a nice warm place to hang before the start. I did not feel terribly enthusiastic about the race and unfortunately, I struggled with that mental state the entire time.

Swim 1.2 Miles @ 0:36:52
Water in Deep Lake was super cold! I felt strong throughout and was able to keep pretty straight lines while sighting. I did not get too pummeled in the water and felt good getting out even though my time was slightly slower than last year. I do think that Emily's coaching will help a lot this season.

Bike 61 Miles @ 3:33:38
The first 20 mile loop felt fine and strong. At one intersection, a very cranky police officer stopped me and the cyclists behind me (surprise as they usually give racers the right of way) and started yelling at us for not following his unclear directions. We had to wait at the intersection for about a minute or so. Then when we got started again, we were lumped together a bit and an official from the race rode up to us on his motorcycle and started yelling at us to break apart before we got penalized. Uggghhh. Finally were were able to get some acceptable distances between us.

I struggled (as I knew I would) up Mud Mountain and the last 20 miles of the bike were painful. Everything that usually gets rubbed raw hurt and everything that usually goes numb -- went numb. I knew I was way off my goal time and felt like I struggled with the wind too much. Or perhaps I just was struggling with myself. My mental state was lousy and I was battling my crappy attitude the whole time on the bike. I was grateful to get off it :)

Run 13.1 Miles @ 2:06:52
I started the run knowing that I was way off my goal time and did not feel like I had much for the run. In the transition area, some of the people around me expressed a wish to just go for the BBQ now and I silently agreed. I barely had a shuffle going at first on the run and had no strength/feeling in my legs. After recording some dismal splits for my first two miles -- and just getting more and more discouraged by them, I made the decision to just run because I liked to and not pay any more attention to the time. I kept a slow and steady pace throughout the run and ended up dropping a couple of younger women who passed me earlier on. I turned my mental state into just being grateful that I had the fitness to race continually for over 6 hours.

Finish @ 6:22:27
My friends Katie and Diana came to watch the finish on their mountain bikes. At about 1.5 miles left to go, I yelled to Katie that I was ticked because I was DONE at this time last year. She went back and warned Ruth that I was, indeed -- pissy. She also told me to focus on the person in front of me and try to catch them. Right after she yelled that, two guys BLEW by me. Glad they took her advice!

Then at the last .1 miles, she was there again and yelled at me to sprint to the finish line. I though, ARE YOU KIDDING? YOU'RE KILLING ME and unfortunately out of my very weary brain, it came out my mouth as "SHUT UP KATIE!". However, once I yelled it, I started laughing because I thought -- if I have the energy to yell, I have the energy to sprint and so I did.

Glad to be done with triathlons for the season! I am ready to hit the weight room and get some good winter conditioning in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so this was the last event of the season? I am almost afraid to ask when the new season starts :-)

I think you are amazing Seujan!!! An inspiration to many of us

Liz