Saturday, June 24, 2006

We had a beautiful ride from Enumclaw to Chinook Pass. It was sunny, warm and beautiful. It is so interesting how different Ruth and I are -- she always takes off too fast (for me) and I always end a bit fast (for her). When we started the real climb to Chinook, it was quite warm and I freaked out a bit because of the heat and really struggled.

Then Ruth dropped me and when she stopped at 123 and 410, I was quite cranky and feeling as though I might die from dehydration on the ride. Ruth pointed out that my water and gatorade bottles were actually half full but I returned that I was SAVING them for the final throes of the death march and was quite dramatic about the whole thing.

Then she said the magic words "we could turn around -- we did accomplish our mission". That got a very quick and indignant "no" from me and we went up easily to the top where there was snow, and it was much cooler...She had been feeling not so great at the beginning but once she hit some elevation with full sun, she was feeling fabulous. I, on the other hand was feeling good until the full sun and elevation :(

On the way home, she had a brilliant idea. We went into the Safeway we had parked at and got wet wipes, recovery drinks, a sandwich and deodorant. Then we proceeded to "shower" in the car and went straight to The Rose for the Beer Garden and catch up with everyone at Pride weekend. She said that if we came home to shower, it would be all over and we would not go out -- she was right and we had a fun time despite being as sticky as fly paper -- the 4 beers helped.

90 Miles @ 06:09:00
I forgot my HR strap...

No comments: