Saturday, June 16, 2007

This morning promised rain later in the day so I went with my tentative plan to ride the Flying Wheels Century. The start time for the century was 8 AM and I was surprised by the line of cars turning into Marymoor. I chose not to ride with Ruth because she had to start super early and planned to ride a fairly flat route. I wanted to test out my new crank on a hilly ride.

My first 25 miles were absolutely THE BEST. I was completely in love with my new crank and all gears I knew I had been missing were right there. I could accelerate and cruise easily at speeds I had not been able to before. I did mentally gasp for mercy going up Inglewood hill but it was not as hard as last year when I did it on Ruth's ride on the Hindenburg.

By the time I hit the rest stop at 55, I knew I had not done as good a job with my nutrition and spent a bit of time there catching up, re-filling my bottles and talking to Ruth for a few to hear about her workout. Then off to the 2nd half...the one with the real elevation. The climbing was definitely harder and I quickly maxed out my gears but made it. I figured it was nothing a little more hill repeat work and a little less beer couldn't fix.

During the last 12 miles, I passed a woman who was an amazing descender and told her so. She replied that I was really strong rider and let me know that she had been keeping my Starbucks jersey in her sights throughout the ride. I was really surprised to hear that as I really view myself as someone who tries to keep up with everyone else. It was a flattering alternative perspective and I got a bit puffy chested for a few miles :)

My plans to run after were thwarted when I went back to the car and learned I forgot to pack my running shoes. I had packed two types of running shirts and hats, had worn my running bra the entire ride (not the most fun to ride in) but neglected the one thing I could not run without. So I decided to put on my regular shoes and walk briskly over to the festival area as a really lame substitute for a run.

99 Mile Ride @ 06:09:00
>3500 Elevation Gain, 16 mph ave (proud of this because I did not draft at all)
133a, 171m

PS: I am writing to remind myself to NEVER do this ride again. It was a complete clusterF*%#$ -- the lines at the porta's were ridiculous and I spent a lot of time trying to ride around people who were completely oblivious to others. Aside from the people who would just swerve and STOP when riding uphill, my two favs were the two girls who took up the ENTIRE bike lane and would not budge when I said "on your left" and I almost got hit by a car trying to pass them and the dude who loved to ride in his aerobars down the yellow line with his iPod blaring. However, I should not have been so cranky about the last one -- it was my opportunity to see Darwinism real-time.

No comments: