Sunday, December 02, 2007

I picked Katie up this morning at 6:45 AM and we drove to Cougar Mountain for my first real trail run. I was pretty excited because it was so beautiful out there covered with a layer of snow that continued to fall.

The guys we met there were really nice and one told us that if we split up, they would leave fern arrows at all intersections so we would know where to go. And off we went, straight up a hill in a few good inches of snow. Within moments, I knew I was in trouble. They easily sailed up the hill, Katie right on their heels and I started to immediately to breathe hard and climb slower and slower. Katie waited for me at a flat spot and I caught up to her gasping for breath as the guys took off and we were on our own.

But we didn't care and had a really great time for the first hour and 50 minutes. It was just the right temperature and while it was more difficult because we were running through snow, I was very happy and loving it. It sure is very very very different than road running both mentally and physically. There were lots of trees and branches on the path weighed down by snow and we had to duck, leap and sometimes just slog around.

Then it started to rain about an hour and a half in and it started to get a bit harder as my feet got wet (for the first time, I was surprised it took that long) and the trails turned into little icy streams. We were both feeling tired (Katie had run 9 miles yesterday but I had no excuse) and were both ready to be DONE. Just when we said that, the end of the trail appeared right around the corner.

I am completely hooked.

10(?) Mile Trail Run @ 02:20:00

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEEES!!!! I am very excited for you. Now you can join me on some orienteering too :) CM

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you'd hit snow. Steve and I were snowed in at our house, the road down the hill was closed....
You were close to our neck of the woods. Glad you havd a good run.