Sunday, June 21, 2009

Ironman Coeur d'Alene Race Report 2009

Here's the stats in case the report is too long to wade through.

Total Time 13:24:52
Division Place 55 out of 121
Swim Division Place 51
Swim Time - 1:21:52
T1 - 10:27
Bike Division Place - 73
Bike Time - 07:01:27
Bike Pace - 15.9
T2 - 6:23
Run Division Place - 51
Run Time - 4:44:50
Run Pace - 10:53

Pre-Race
Ruth, Oma and I drove to Idaho early Friday morning to make the check in deadline. We then headed to the sweet condo that Ruth found for us right on the lake and then went back into town for some sushi and groceries before getting a good night's sleep.

I studied a bit on Saturday (did I mention my first MBA class started 6/23) while Ruth went to find a gym and Oma ruled her properties in Atlanta from her ever ringing cell phone. We then all went into town so I could drop off my bags and bike. There was a small wear mark on my tire and after getting it looked at in the tech tent, I was quickly convinced to have them replace it. Managed to get my bike racked on time but then had to wait because Oma insisted that it needed a "rain coat" and there was no stopping her until she got one. Fortunately, the volunteer understood and let me in with a sympathetic pat to the back :)

Ruth made Vegas spaghetti for dinner and we had that with some fresh Mussels. YUM!

RACE DAY:
We were out the door at 4:45 and it was already light outside! I was a little chilly walking around and wished I had a cap to wear but was okay without it. Good to remember for next time. I did tell Oma that I really did not NEED it and no one had to get hurt in order for me to find one. Definitely getting nervous about the race and Ruth kept after me to breathe.

SWIM - 1:21:52
Ruth zipped me up and I headed towards the beach to begin the swim. I was feeling a little less escalated -- so much so that I was surprised when the start gun went off. Still adjusting my goggle strap, I walked towards the water in a crowd and started swimming. That was the most chummy (pun intended) I had ever experienced in an open water swim. My first split was actually faster I believe because I was drafting off the massive pack I could not seem to shake the first lap. They had us come out of the water and run on the beach before plunging back in for the second half. And there was Oma, right in front with her gold glittery glowing visor yelling for me as she took my picture. Finished the swim in my usual average time even with the extra waves.

T1 - 10:27
Got my wetsuit stripped by the volunteers before getting my bag (note: next time put something on the bag to really make it stand out) and jogging to the changing tent. Ate a banana in there and decided to wear the arm warmers even though it was actually sunny outside.

Bike - 07:01:27
I really did LOVE that bike course! The weather was just perfect (for me) and the combination of flats and rollers were interesting, a bit challenging and quite beautiful. I did have to stop at the porta potties three times for some GI issues but did a much better job keeping myself aero on the bike even though my back started to hurt right away instead of waiting for the first 50 miles to be done. Pretty sure that was from working so hard to stay above the waves in the swim. Set the timer on my watch for 15 minutes and ate Simbrie's and drank Perpetum with discipline the entire time. Also loved the Kimbap Oma made me for my special needs bag. YUM. The rain held off the entire ride although the winds really did pick up for those who were out there longer (for example, me). When I got off the bike in the transition area, I could not straighten up my back and hobbled towards my bag and then the changing area.

T2 - 6:23
Declined the first offer of help from a volunteer but then did accept the next offer after wrestling way too long with my bra. She was fabulous and took off my shoes and socks and helped me get into my running shoes. Ruth had yelled to me when I finished the bike that I had hit my target on the bike, was doing great and was going to OWN the run because that was MY thing.

Run - 4:44:50
The first three miles were very painful. My lower back hurt, my sides hurt and my pace was jagged and slow. I reminded myself that my runs never feel good the first three miles and to get past that point before obsessing. Then things started to feel better and better and even though I had little aches along the way, I remembered Cheryl's words from the 50 miler about focusing on things that did not hurt. It worked! The rain started to really come down the second half and I scoffed (nicely) at offers of rainjackets from the volunteers. "I am from Seattle, this is perfect" I boasted :) I was so happy to have those long runs in my pocket and when I started to feel whiny, I reminded myself of some of the crazy runs Barbara Rose and I had done in the cold snow! Saw Ruth, Oma, Cheryl and Ann (who had driven up that day for the finish) at the end of my first loop. Had to get Oma to stop running with me although I doubt anyone would have believed that this tiny Korean woman in huge sunglasses, purse a flying, a glitter gold visor, red raincoat and sweatpants 3 sizes too large that she had just purchased to wear over her dress pants when she got cold....was actually pacing me :) I did feel really good during the run and kept up the eating and drinking. This was the first time I had ever actually RUN an Ironman run and was loving it! My goal was to finish under 14 hours but when I realized that I might even finish under 13:30, I was super motivated to keep the pace up.

FINISH - 13:24:52
Entered the finish with a real smile. I could not believe my time and felt the best I ever have crossing an IM finish line! Having my family and friends there to cheer me on meant so much to me and I consider it one of the very best weekends of my life.

No comments: