Tuesday, June 21, 2005

UPDATE: Scroll down to see pictures from my race and go to my entry about Ruth's Race to see her pictures.

I am in a terrible funk and have been since Sunday. Thought I would be better after my little crying meltdown on Sunday after the race but that has not happened yet. Everyone has been so sweet by asking about it but it just makes me feel like crap to talk about it.

I just hate not achieving my goal for no other reason than my own inadequacy. I would be cranky, but recoverable if it had been something outside of my control like a flat or a pulled hamstring or alien invasion...

Yes, I took 15 minutes off my best 1/2 IM PR but I was 18+ minutes off my final goal and a 9:18 run pace was just terrible for me. There is no excuse for that -- I just did not train enough and it showed. Yes, it is instructive and all that but I just cannot emerge from this place.

Ruth has taken to calling me Lilo because my post-race pout is of epic proportions...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be good to yourself...

Anonymous said...

snap out of it! You had a great swim, a great bike ride and a personal best by 15 minutes - all over a challenging course. You trained hard for this race. If you'd trained more you probably would have been overtrained or worse, injured. Move on. Start thinking about that next race.....

Anonymous said...

ahh what does this wallowing in your sorrow do...make you a better person, triathlete or partner?? You did finish and with very respectible and impressive times. What are those of us, who can't do half of what you do half as good, to think? We like our heros whether they come in first or 14th! There are learning experiences in every race we do that makes us a better athlete and person for our next endeavor in life be it in sport, work or relationships. You had goals for this, but did you really know the course, the weather or how you would feel on race day. That is why goals shift and change and adapt along the way. The most important is you made the commitment and got to the starting line. Maybe your run was a little slow for you, but you did train your running and quite enough, Breathe deep, go for a nice relaxing bike ride and plan your revenge on the next race. We will be there for you, but we much prefer when you smile :) CM