Sunday, June 19, 2005

Well I survived. The good news is that I took about 15 minutes off my 1/2 IM PR (personal record) despite not meeting the goals I had set for myself. My official finish time is 5:48:31 and I came in 14th out of 42 in my age group with a finish of 66 out of 214 women.

Pre-race
Not much time between when we could enter the transition area and the race start. Because I dropped my chain when riding yesterday, I took it to a bike shop last night to get it adjusted. I tested it this AM and (again) could not get into the big chain ring. Uuugghhh. Fortunately, one of the women in the transition area overheard Ruth and I talking about it and got her husband (who owns a bike shop) to help me out. It worked so much better and I will be eternally grateful to those two athletes who took a few minutes to help me out. Other than that, I got my area set up well :) and was ready to go.

Swim (1.2 Miles @ 00:35 :54)
The under 40 men left 10 minutes before the women. After the wave took off, there were still men running to the swim start. One of the women said that it happens every year. Stayed steady and strong through the swim. While I like the improved visibility of my new open water goggles, I noticed that when they leaked, they were able to hold much more of the lake. I wonder if they will ever make goggles (and helmets) that fit flat round faces and heads.
Transition 1 @ 00:01:39

Ruth caught my cap and goggles when I came running up the chute and that helped alot. Decided against the armwarmers as it was a pretty sunny day out and ran my bike out of the area with little incident.

Bike (56 Miles @ 03:14:01 17.3 pace)
This kicked my ASS. Rolling (albiet beautiful) hills are not my strength and it sure showed. I did the best I could -- got aero when possible and limped through the hills. This course had a loop that we had to do three times. I will not do another race that boasts a hilly course without much more preparation before hand. I also wasted a lot of time playing with the shifting on my new bike. I do need to say though that I sure do love racing with Canadians. For some reason "on your left", "good job" "have some snacks for me?" just are quite pleasant in a Canadian accent :)

Transition 2 @ 00:01:34
Coming back with my bike, I was blocked by some relay team members stretching right in the middle of the pathway and I was quite cranky about that. Took me an extra few seconds to find my spot but managed to rack okay and get out on the run.
Run (13.1 Miles @ 01:55:26) 9:18 Pace
The course description said it was a flat combination of trails and pavement around Elk Lake. I assumed that flat meant flat and a combination meant 50/50. Unfortunately, flat meant rolling trail hills and combination meant 90% trails, 10% pavement. This kicked whatever ass I had left after the bike. It was a double-loop course so I ran the first loop with lots of the men who were on their second and completely dusting me on the trails. It was hard to come in and hear the finish line and have to go around the damn lake again.

Now I felt stronger and faster on the 2nd lap but Ruth clocked me several minutes slower -- go figure. When I came through, she yelled "smooth and steady" and that helped me through the second loop. I think that the finish clock said 05:48:?? when I came in. At the very end, two women in my division sprinted by me to the finish line. I just had nothing left to keep up with them so I just handed out two places ahead of me at that point.

Post Race
Pretty shakey at the end. Inhaled the gaterade I was handed (asked for the blue as I had been drinking yellow all race). Had to sit down and try to get my bearings. I saw Ruth looking for me but I did not even have the energy to yell to her. She later encouraged me to get in the cool lake to ice my legs a little and that helped to revive me. Soon, she is taking me out for Sushi and the biggest saltiest martini I can find. Lucky me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Atta girl - congratulations on your achievement.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...you rock girl! I looked up your times...wow! How about a Martini on me for the racer and her crew...
Diana

Anonymous said...

I think you are amazing!
Penni

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! You keep on inspiring me!!! Your transition times are great!!! And your swim time! Wow!! That really gives you a leg up and 14th out of 42 in your age group totally rocks! I'm so glad Ruth was there to support you and take pictures! You handled the course surprises really well.
Kim

Anonymous said...

You know - you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for posting the pictures. I think your time was terrific. Now.... pizza?

Anonymous said...

SJ - couldn't you have done this faster :) That is amazing... We are all very proud of you - you inspire us all!!!

Anonymous said...

Seujan,

You're a ROCK STAR! How is the search for a new bike going?

Carole