Friday, January 13, 2006

This morning, I had almost convinced Ruth to skip swim practice and sleep in. Sleep has been a gourmet commodity in our really busy week. But she was unable to fall back asleep and I reluctantly agreed to go to practice with her.

I am glad I went because I had a terrific workout! I swam with Sarah and Duncan and worked very very hard to keep up with them. We had a workout in honor of Friday the 13th and did sets of 13 x 50 and 75. The 13 x 75 was quite challenging as the odds were fast and hard. I kept my head down and focused on my streamlined "swimming tube" to not get dropped completely.

Swim Practice 2500 @ 00:55:00

I have an aerobic run planned at lunch and Ruth and I are going to lift weights after work. Then tomorrow will be a complete rest day (I promise, coach!).
_________________

I just had the best run! I feel like something clicked yesterday and I am instantly stronger. It started during swim practice yesterday and I was able to engage muscles and body and power up to keep up during the 300's. Then during spin class, I engaged my hamstrings and core and was able to make it through a strenuous strength training set. Today's swim practice was also hard, but I was able to engage everything -- my mind, breathing and muscles and keep up. Then my run just felt strong and smooth. When I hit the hill at the end of the 6 miles, I just thought "bring it" and sailed right up. I did a bit of core after my run to get a head start on tonight's last workout.

So there may actually be something to this weight training. Imagine if I had started this years ago when my coach told me to!

6 Mile Aerobic Run @ 00:53:11
146a

CORE
3 x 1:00 Plank
1 x :45 Plank with Rotation each side
2x15 Captain's Chair
_________________________

A triple workout on the Friday of a long week finally humbled me. I struggled with lifting after work but made it through.

Weight Training

CHEST
Bench Press 1x15, 1x12 @ 60
Chest Flyes 2x15 @ 27.5 dumbbells

SHOULDERS
Overhead Press 2x15 @ 22.5 dumbbells
Shoulder raise side and front 2x16 @ 5 dumbbells

BACK
Seated Row 2x12 @ 75 machine
Lat Pull Down 2x12 @ 60 machine

BICEPS
Concentration Curls 1x15, 1x13 @ 20 dumbbells

TRICEPS
Assisted Dip 2x12

LEGS
Abductor 2x15 @ 70 lb
Adductor 2x15 @ 80 lb
Hamstring 2x12 @ 55 lb
Lunges 2x15 @ 15 lb dumbbells

CORE
1x 12 center, 1x12 alternate side situp on slanted bench, 1x5 center
1x12 center, 1x8 each side Leg Up on Slanted Bench
Back 2x 115 @ 10 lb plate

No comments: