Saturday, January 07, 2006

Today's bike ride was a bit of an adventure. I rode with Ti Women at 10:00 -- who advertised the ride as -- and I quote directly:

"Ride appx. 3.5-4 hours out to Snohomish and back via Woodinville. Pace: avg 16-17 mph (we will keep an endurance-aerobic pace - no need to toss our cookies in January)."

However, those guidelines were not adhered from the start as we flew up the Burke-Gilman trail at 20-22 miles an hour with a paceline that scattered many disgruntled (rightly so) trail patrons. Then I barely hung on to Snohomish busting my ass to get with the group only to be dropped within minutes. Fortunately, Robin was very kind to ride with me and we paced each other back to the group.

Once we turned around in Snohomish, our Burke Gilman Trail karma came back and kicked our butts as the heavens opened up and we fought a headwind and sidewind and sheets of rain on the way back home. On the way back to Woodinville, a teammate -- Kelly was really beginning to bonk and fell behind. I soft pedaled and stayed with her as the rest of the group took off. We re-grouped in Woodinville and she was really getting shakey. When she turned off pull in to Wendy's and call for the cavalry, I followed her because I was very concerned about her being alone.

I forced coffee into her and we chatted for a bit to be rescued by Ruth. I lost my bike computer but Kelly told me that we rode 42 miles at a 15 average.

42 Mile Bike Ride @ 03:00:00

No comments: