Sunday, March 19, 2006

Raced the Leprechan Classic 1/2 Marathon today. Ruth ran her first long race too -- 10 miles :)

I felt good going in and my coach told me to control the race, and not let it control me. I went into it with that attitude. As Ruth put it, it was the most "ghetto race" we have ever been to. There was only one single occupancy bathroom open and the recovery food was terrible. Donuts and green bananas. The distances were 1 mile, 5k, 10k, 10 mile and 1/2 marathon all out and back.

As I was approaching the turn around point, I saw the three men who were leading coming back and I got a little mixed up with the arrow markings because I was doing math in my head (never a good idea, especially when I am tired) and I turned around early. After running a bit, I realized that I definitely missed the correct turn around point and turned back around to find it because I just was not okay with not racing it correctly. I think it added .1-.2 miles to my total distance.

The good news is that there was a guy in 4th place who I had passed about 5 miles in who I ended up getting behind again during my mix up. I then made it my goal to pass him and I did again at about 8 miles.

This was not the smoothest race ever between the mixup and my foot pod dying 8 miles in and those were the moments when I felt the race beginning to control me. But I regained control and feel good about it.

I came in 4th overall and 1st overall woman. Not too difficult a feat considering how few racers there were (I saw less than 10 women total who ran the 1/2) but I am pretty pleased because I have never placed first in a running race ever! A bit bummed later though when they mistakenly named a woman who ran the 10 miles in the 1/2 marathon race and announced that she was first. However, I know that I won because I could see everyone who ran it as it was out and back and I am pretty thrilled with that :)

13.1 Miles @ 01:48:44 (if I ran 13.2, then my pace was 8:14)
159a, 174m

1 comment:

start2day said...

Hey, nice blog! Would you be willing to share your training schedule? I would like to do man Canada in 2008. When did you start with endurance sports? Check me out at start2day.blogspot.com. Cheers from Switzerland,
Nadine