Saturday, August 05, 2006

Yesterday I talked to Cheryl, (my coach) whom I had been avoiding now for some time. It was exactly the conversation I needed to have as she pointed out that I have a pattern of getting a bit freaked out and having it come out in body fatigue in the weeks before my races. She would cut down my training and but I would still not get my head right and I would spiral downward.

She helped me realize that I was just scared -- and that was accurate because as soon as she said it, I burst into tears. I am feeling the pressure of so many people coming and this being such a long term goal (5 years in the making) that I was putting unreasonable pressure on myself. Anyway, it was good for me and a good reality check and after the (overdue) conversation, I am much better now :)

Ruth and I went for a no-pressure ride today with the goal of just getting my head back -- it could be 30-70 miles. I had 70 hilly miles on my plan and Cheryl cut it back. We set up the route so there were longer and shorter options. We parked at LogBoom and rode over Juanita and back for a nice warm-up. Then to Marymoore, around Lake Sammamish. Then to Bellevue, through Kirkland and over Juanita again back to the car. I felt strong and enjoyed the climbing and flats.

65 Mile Ride @ 04:10:00
122a, 163m
2500 elevation gain

No comments: