Saturday, October 14, 2006

I did my long run on the Sammamish Trail this morning and started at Log Boom Park. I tried a new drink on this run as I am still trying to figure out my race day nutrition. Fortunately, there were mile markers on the trail so I could track my pace.

For breakfast, I made oatmeal and added some raisins, almonds and a nectarine. I ran within an hour after eating it and while it did not hurt too much because of my pace, I know I should at least wait an hour and a half before running.

I also pushed my pace too fast the first half (@ 9:00-9:10) and therefore was unable to negative split the second half and my pace on the way back was @ 9:15-9:30. I did a fast mile in the middle and was unable to get my HR back down after that. I figured out after that I was taking in a lot of caffeine as my blocks had caffeine and the drink also had caffeine -- yikes!

At the end, I did my last mile fast mile and I do not know if I did it at a 7:20 or 8:20 pace. It felt like a 7:20 pace (ouch) and if it was an 8:20 then I am in trouble because I cannot imagine keeping an 8:30 pace for 26.2.

I also learned that I need to state my intentions out loud before my workout and STICK to it. I should have said that I was going to run out at a 9:30 pace -- do my middle fast mile at 8:15-8:30 and then if I felt really good, come back at a 9:15 pace and do the last two miles at 8:15-8:30.

In terms of attitude, I was feeling tired -- especially at the end but was able to be focused and did not let others on the trail dictate my reactions so that was good.

So I learned some good stuff today :)

18 Mile Run @ 02:46:49
Attitude= 8 Performance = 8
155a, 197m

No comments: