Saturday, February 10, 2007

Looks like this morning promises a beautiful day for my 136 KM (85 mile) ride. I am making the same "Rasberrylicious Power Shake" and will set my watch to remind myself to take a sip every 15 minutes. I will also pack a couple of power bars as well as a PB&J sandwich.
_____________________________________________

I survived the ride. I rode from home across Mercer Island (the long way) and around the South end of the lake. At Seward Park, I was lucky enough to run into Duncan and Charlie and got to draft them for 5 wonderful fast miles but they could not be convinced to keep riding with me so back around Mercer Island I went again and repeated the loop before heading home.

I was very good about taking in nutrition every time my watch beeped. I alternated between my Rasberrylicious Power Shake and a bite of peanut butter power bar and water. I also ate a banana the first time I stopped at Seward Park. I also choose to do the south loop twice because that route offers the most opportunity to get in my aero bars and I would say that I was in them about 20% of the ride. That is about 19% more than usual so it was a small victory.

Near the end of the ride, I was feeling pretty whiny in my head and was very tempted when Ruth offered to scoop me but I realized that would put me behind in KM so I kept going. I also lost interest in food near the end but forced myself to continue with my nutrition plan because it was excellent training for the real race.

135.48 KM (84 mile) Ride @ 05:45:00
136a

1 comment:

PuddyRat said...

Seujan, just in case I don't get a chance to tell you before you leave, I want to wish you the very best at IMNZ. I know you will do awesome and you are much tougher on yourself than any of the rest of us are. Think of where you were when you first began this journey and when I first met you.

As ye speak, so shall ye be. Remember that and keep telling yourself you are an INCREDIBLE athlete because I certainly think you are.

All the best to you and Ruth. I hope I get to see you in the not too distant future.