Thursday, March 01, 2007

New Zealand Ironman # 644

Even though the date on this post reads Thursday, it is Friday here in New Zealand and the race is tomorrow.

Woke up this morning and went to the pre-race briefing after breakfast. I am glad I went although it sounded a lot like the way the adults in "The Peanuts" talk (blah blah blah) with an aussie accent...with the occasional laugh from the audience at a joke I (and many other Americans with me) did not understand.

We are traveling with an Endurance Travel Group and while we are not one bit enchanted with the (dis)- organizer, he has surrounded himself with quite wonderful people. One of whom, the mechanic who checked our bikes mentioned to me that I may want to consider replacing my tires as I had come a long way and it would be terrible if I had a flat because of some of the minor cuts I had. Of course, our mechanic had "ok'd" them before we left but then last night I had a dream that my tires split in half so off I went to the store to get new tires. And new cleats. And a new stick of Body Glide... He put my tires on for me -- and also my cleats and that was a wonderful extra kindness I had not expected.

I just dropped off my bike and T1 and T2 bags. And picked up my Special Needs bags where volunteers put our numbers and their own special signature (a smiley face or initial).

The weather here is described as "fine". Which we figured meant fair and sunny. We got the real deal the other day. "Fine" means pretty much anything, but people are fine with it. Tomorrow promises a real smorgasbord of weather. Heat, cold, rain and wind. Oh and a "light" wind is anything but....

Yesterday afternoon, Ruth dragged me to Rock n Ropes. This was something she wanted to do ever since we decided to come here and I had a choice to either do it with her or sit there for three hours while she did. I HATE heights but my fear of having to sit with myself quietly for three hours overcame my fear of heights and I signed up.

When I started climbing the first pole, I had a change of heart and decided that having to sit with myself for three hours quietly was a better option. Unfortunately, that was NOT an option for our "guide" who followed me up and yelled and slapped my feet up the damn pole. Ruth said that I was turning into a behavior problem and was glad the he was dealing with me, not her...

But I made it except for the trapeze. He ended up yanking me off the top of the pole that I was precariously balanced on because I would not come down any other way. And gave me a good shake and scare on the way down for his trouble. It actually was good fun after the fact and I did do things I never had before so it was a good distraction and perhaps tomorrow I will wish I were on top of that pole rather than facing 50 more miles of headwind.

At 5:00, we go to Stretton's for a bit of a Happy Hour send-off and then a group dinner. Finally home to bed and hopefully a spot of sleep :)

Thanks all for your kind and encouraging words. I am in a better space today and am looking forward to being on the other side of this event!

Oh, and my mantras...

When I need to get on pace:
"I am a warrior/swimmer/cyclist/runner, mighty mighty warrior/swimmer/cyclist/runner..."

When I get passed/dropped:
"My race, my pace"

When I hurt:
"Breathe in. Breath out." And then do a mental head to toe check of everything on my body that is not in pain and let that information guide me through.

And when I really need it:
"C'mon Bertram, move your ass."

No comments: