Sunday, May 13, 2007

This morning, we ran the Kirkland Half Marathon. It was a cold, windy and cloudy morning with an unfortunate late start. I did not even bother to write a race plan up because it was so short (nutrition focus, 9ish pace, sub-two hour finish). I used my watch workout setting that has a 30 minute warm-up and then a 1 minute recovery every 14 minutes to remind me to eat/drink.

The first three miles hurt like usual as my leg muscles protested actually having to move after the last couple of slacker days. I kept the pace easy and my HR around 145 even though it climbed a bit on the hills. I did a really good job of keeping it My race. My Pace. At one point near mile 8, I had three women around me who had the lean runner body type -- one of whom was simply an Amazon with legs that came up to my shoulders and I thought, "look at me in gazelles". And I ran with the herd happily. For a few moments until I realized that my HR had hit 160 and not going down anytime soon. And so I came back to reality (and a real pace) and watched the Amazon chick float away.

I did do a good job of keeping my attitude in check and did not kill myself to pass anyone wearing pink (as I have in my not so distant not so mature past) but I could not resist that temptation with anyone wearing a "runner skirt". I mean, really...what the hell? They deserve to be dusted. Well, at least the ones I could actually catch.

At mile 10ish, a woman running the other direction was calling out to the women letting us know our place and she told me I was 80th woman overall. I thought "What did you have to say that for? I was so happy with my pace and now I have to pass 10 women." Sigh. And I am pretty sure I did -- kicking up the pace a bit for the last 5k. At the finish line though, one of the last women who I passed (looked to be early twenties) dusted me right at the finish line.

Oh well, I had a really good time and was happy that I could still race the distance -- the results are not official yet but I came in according to the clock at about an hour 52. Ruth also had a terrific race -- not a bad way for her to end her killer training week that included 200 miles of cycling!
__________________________________

It appears that they posted and fixed the results and my name is now posted correctly even though Ruth no longer appears.

Kirkland Half Marathon & 5K - Half Marathon
number of finishers: 642
number of females: 385
number of males: 257
average time: 02:12:09
bib number: 678
age: 40
gender: F
overall place: 196 out of 642
division place: 10 out of 58
gender place: 64 out of 385
time: 1:51:49
pace: 8:33

It took a lot of teamwork but Ruth and I convinced one another to go to the gym to get in our lift.

WEIGHTS

UPPER
3 x 15 Pull Down @ 80
3 x 15 Row @ 70
3 x 12 Triceps Dip @ 125
3 x 15 Biceps @ 12

CORE
5 x 15 Crunch on Ball
3 x 12 Roman Chair
3 x 12 Back @ 15 Weights, 2 x 15 Side

No comments: