Saturday, June 23, 2007

Today's plan was a 50 mile bike with a 15 mile and 10 mile time trial followed by a 20 minute run. I decided to try this on my new Zipp wheels and wasted a lot of time this morning putting them on and trying to get the brakes aligned. When we finally got the park, I still was having technical difficulties trying to figure out where to put the spare tube tire (ended up in my pocket) and lost one of my handlebar plugs. By the time we started, I was pretty escalated and hearing the rubbing sound of a brake pad against my wheel did not help one bit. I ended up stopping no less than 4 times to adjust and tweak the wheels, brakes and sensor that was not reading mph. Of course every time I stopped a mini-swarm of Team in Training would whoosh by and I was not happy thinking that I would probably have to pass them soon -- and they tend to ride three across with about 5 feet between them.

Reminding myself that this was an opportunity to re-frame my thinking (see Ruth, I do read all those articles you print out) I decided to focus on my goals for the ride and let go of the rubbing noise that I could not figure out how to fix.

My time trials unfortunately had two stops in them but I felt strong albeit a bit slower than I would have liked. My legs were very unhappy about the 10 and let me know about mile 7 as I was climbing that damn hill again.

55 Mile Bike Ride @ 03:13:35

WU @ 01:04:59
124a,

15 Mile Time Trial @ 00:49:15
143a, 166m

Recovery @ 00:11:02

10 Mile Time Trial @ 00:33:17
147a, 158m

I then followed it with a longer run than the plan because I really wanted to get in more running miles this week. The run felt strong and even though I knew I was running on fumes (I got 200 calories max on the bike damn it). I told myself that this run was going to be a mental challenge and that I was going to feel uncomfortable and under-caloried during races. I could not make myself eat any of the bloks but did sip from my gatorade every 10 minutes. Not sure of the exact mileage (I ran from Marymoor to the Bothell rest stop where Ruth scooped me) but I know that I was running a sub-10 pace because I kept gaining on the mileage markers. Even though it completely emptied me physically, I needed it mentally.

7.75 Mile Run @ 01:10:01
146a, 157m

No comments: