Saturday, July 07, 2007

07 Desert Half Ironman Race Plan

Race Eve
Today is about hydrating, breathing and relaxing.

RELAXING
The town is going to fill up with athletes of all shapes and sizes. I will NOT obsess about how different I look than the super buff looking ones strutting around drinking grass and pebble shakes out of blender pitchers during breakfast. I will take a deep breath and remind myself as many times as it takes that "I Belong Here". I have been consistent about training despite all the challenges of taking on a new job and have the fitness and mental strength needed for this race.

HYDRATION
Drink a minimum of two liters of water today sipping from the bottle throughout the day. No booze until tomorrow.

BREATHING
Control breathing first and thoughts will follow. Take every opportunity to stretch and breathe through the day. Stretch with Ruth tonight and apply sunscreen.

Race Morning
Drink coffee, water and eat a bagel 1.5-2 hours before race start. Re-apply sunscreen and stretch in the hotel room. Bodyglide everything :)

SWIM
Position myself to the outside and at the end of the fast half of the pack. Work hard on rotating hips and bi-lateral breathing. Follow through with long arms. Most importantly, sight every 3-5 strokes because that has been the biggest time waster of all for me on other swims. Use the first loop as an aerobic scouting loop and take it up a notch and negative split the second.

"I am a swimmer, mighty mighty swimmer"

T1
Stay in my bubble and don't look around at everyone else racing to go through this. Make sure I have everything and then jog out of the area with the bike. Accept any offers of sunscreen and water.

BIKE
Know that this is going to be challenging especially because it is not my ideal course with all the climbing and descending. Race my own race. When I get passed, visualize the energy from their pedal stroke behind them and absorb it for my race. Keep breathing climbing and especially when descending. Eat a power bar and drink half my nuun and shake during the first half and finish it all on the way back.

Get in aero-bars when feasible and keep shifting to optimize ride.

"I am a cyclist, mighty mighty cyclist"

T2
Rack bike and put on shoes efficiently and quickly without rushing. Put on race belt with water and gatorade bottles. Dump a cup of water on my head and accept any offers of sunscreen.

RUN
Here's where I can realize the most success if I keep my pace steady and strong. This is a double loop with four Greenlake sized sections. Drink every 10 minutes alternating between water and aid. During the second loop, take a clif block when taking a sip of water.

"I am a runner, mighty mighty runner"

Post Race
Regardless of finish time, know that I raced steady, smart and strong. Congratulate Ruth for kicking ass on her first Half Ironman :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BEST Of LUCK and HAVE FUN! you have a great plan you mighty mighty woman!!
~Ann