Saturday, July 28, 2007

I got the confidence booster I needed today. Ruth came up with a really good route and we drove to Logboom at 9 AM to stage our ride. On the way there, I was really quiet and not at all looking forward to the ride nor feeling confident about my ability to finish it.

The other day, I had a realization about nutrition. When talking with Ruth, I realized that I had done IM New Zealand with far less training and the only reason I was successful was because I made it my "nutrition" race. So this morning, I set my watch so on 14 minute intervals with a minute recovery that was to be my nutrition window and stuck to that plan.

We started at Logboom to Marymoore, then around Lake Sammamish and did the 50 mile Tour de Cure route with an extra out and back at Snohomish. I was very good about my nutrition and got in some nice distance in my aerobars. I kept up with Ruth easily and we took turns pulling each other at times. When we hit Marymoore, I forced myself to eat the last half of my second powerbar and almost gagged with the last bite but was able to get it down by promising myself that I would not have to eat another one this ride.

We finished the last bit of the trail really strong and I volunteered to rack the bikes so Ruth could have a really fast transition (really, so I could rest longer...). It took me some time to get mine on the rack and locked but eventually I ran out of things to do and had to go for my run.

I was thrilled to finish feeling so strong and feel ready for the race for the first time.

115 Mile Ride @ 07:15:00

2 Mile Run @ 00:20:00

No comments: