Saturday, June 14, 2008

This morning, I ran the Cougar Mountain Trail Run -- the 7ish mile distance. I was kinda nervous but figured that it was only 7 miles so it wouldn't be too hard and since this was my first trail race, I would not race it and take my time and learn.

We started out with a pre-race information session and the one great tip he told us was to run the more difficult area with our toes pointed out. We also learned that the run was 7.5-7.8 miles. We started as a group and then the trail quickly narrowed into single track. I seeded myself where I thought I belonged but did see two women I knew I could take on the road, so I pushed ahead of them in the beginning. They passed me right before it narrowed and it turned out that I was wrong and ended up actually drafting one of them for almost 3/4 of the race.

I had a blast! The hills were tough but I was happy to have the cardio, strength and endurance to run the whole thing. What I need to work on is agility because I got nervous and slowed down on the steep downhill parts. At one point, I kinda shrieked (btw -- not a good way to bond with your fellow racers who are trapped behind you) when hitting a steep downhill that was really muddy and a bit scary. Surprisingly, I did not fall. This time. It was hard to focus on the trail itself when deprived of oxygen.

At the end, it got flat and widened and I was able to pick off quite a few people. And no one in a race skirt passed or came in before me :) I am hooked!

7.6 mile trail race @ 1:22:56
(Pace = 10:55/mi). 134th out of 230.
155a

No comments: