Sunday, August 31, 2008

I picked Jen up this morning at 7 and we drove to Snoqualmie to get in my longest training run before my 50k. I chose the "Humpback Mountain" trail out of Katie's "Kissing The Trail" book because it would give me 26.8 miles. We parked at Olallie State Park I took off right away. The first two miles were all uphill but then it leveled out at the railroad trail. My route took me to the Snoqualmie tunnel and back.

The way out was slightly uphill the entire time so I had a nice slight descent the entire way back. It was a beautiful route despite the fact that it rained 95% of the time ranging between dumping and light steady rain. It almost looked like light snow/rain mix at the top but I may have been hallucinating. I was also a bit cold on my way back in my short sleeve shirt. Thank goodness I changed into my running capri's! This is when I discovered my freak factor. At 3+ hours in, I was cold, soaking wet and running in the pouring rain. And I felt STRONG and AMAZING. Jen had biked out to bring me more water/Gatorade and I didn't even need it (although I learned later it might have been helpful if I pretended I did...) since she got extra cold and muddy to bring it to me.

At about mile 20, I checked in with myself to see if I had 10 more miles left in me and...I felt as though I did! I know that this training run was easier because the last half was a gradual descent but I truly am built for distance especially when the temperature drops. Baker Lake, here I come! We rewarded ourselves with Fat Burger after :)

26.8 Mile Run @ 04:12:40

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the GREAT run!!! Awesome.