Thursday, March 12, 2009

So looking at this blog, I really look like a slacker for the past 2 days but I do get to use the excuse of a day of travel (24 hours total on a bus or plane) AND losing 1.5 days in the time change.

The trip there was fairly uneventful but I did start to cry a bit when looking at everyone else who was boarding the plane to Korea but that was about it. When we finally arrived (4 movies later), I was so tired, I slept on the 45 minute bus from the airport to the hotel. Went to bed shortly after checking in @ 9 PM and slept fitfully because I was trying to sleep during my most productive time.

There is a gym on the 19th floor in the hotel, a very small but immaculate one with some very nice treadmills overlooking the city. I got in an aerobic run and overestimated my speed because I did not think km conversion thoroughly. I had to stop halfway for some water and ended up blacking out the tiniest bit so I took my speed down to a more reasonable pace to finish strong.

10 km run @ 01:00:00

This morning, I decided I wanted a real Korean breakfast and after finding a bagel for Jen, we ended up in a restaurant where there was no English evident. I ordered the rice cake soup by pointing at the picture and had it, with some Kimchee and other pickled veggie. I did okay but was chased after when leaving because I tried to leave a tip and she would not take it.

Then off to find out where to pick up the race packet and it was in an office building. After turning over my passport to the lady at the front table in exchange for a card key, I found the place, identified only by the pile of Asic boxes on the floor. My shirt is rather unattractive and rather large because I had no idea of the size and ordered the second to largest one I could find.

We were very close to the palace so we went there to take pictures and marvel at its sprawling buildings and grounds.
What is striking to me is how clean the city is. I have yet to see any litter both on the streets and in the subways. The subway appears to be easy enough to navigate but there is just little enough English to make it difficult.







For lunch, we checked out the food court across the street. It was very crowded with office workers and the system was a little intimidating. First you walked around to restaurant after restaurant and picked your dish by a number. But you had to go to a booth to order it by number and pay. Note, WRITE DOWN the number of you may find yourself eating Albalone Gruel - a green colored fish smelling bowl that ended up being one of the more expensive dishes there rather than the yummy seafood pancake thing you wanted... Oh and then being yelled at when told to pay more money than the amount the pancake was. It was okay, but I may have to hit one of the many Outback Steakhouses before we leave just to be sure I get what I mean to order.

I did have to console myself with chocolate after though and got a supply to last through my PMS :)

Fortunately, traveling with someone who is white has been helpful because she gets all sorts of help and props for trying while I am looked at curiously. Maybe I am appearing to be mentally challenged because I kinda look the part but sure cannot even fake it for a moment...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it!! Glad you can keep us updated. :) Best wishes...or whatever you need in this case.....thinking of you.