Friday, December 23, 2005

Found a 6 AM Master's swim practice at the Ormond Beach YMCA and then an 8:30 Spin Class at the Olympus Health Club on Atlantic avenue. It was a bit of running around but I made it to both. My family was not happy with me for missing breakfast at iHOP with them but I really needed to move and knew this would be my last chance to bike for a bit.

Swim practice was beautiful. The pool was outdoors and heated. When I got there, it was still dark and the pool was just wonderful. The workout was an excellent butt-kicker. I was too slow to swim with the better swimmers but too fast for the beginners so I had my own lane.

We started the workout with fins -- 12x50 Shoot Down (kick underwater to other end - nose 6 inches from bottom) and then sprint back. I did that on the 1:05. Then there was a set of 3x(3x100 on the 1:50 then 3x25 on the :30). That was hard especially because I did not have Sarah to draft off of. Then we did a set of 4x150 pull. She had me do the fingertip drill because my arm is too flat in the water.

Masters Swim Practice 3200 @ 01:20:00

Spin class was a complete trip! It was in the back of a health club and the room was rather long and narrow but the bikes were good. The instructor looked to be a very fit 50+ year old in a striped animal print top and blond teased hair. She was on a stage in the front. She drew a line on the whiteboard in yellow marker indicating the elevation of our workout. Then the kicker. She turned out the lights and the black lights began to glow. All of a sudden our elevation map started to glow as well as the mouthpiece of her microphone. The entire class was really bad 80's music. A couple of times, she hopped off her bike and walked around giving us the thumbs up and high-fiving some of the regulars. Her sprints started with the cue "giddayup". It was a lot of fun, in a surreal kind of way and I got in an excellent workout.

Spin Class @ 00:50:00
142a

No comments: