Saturday, May 06, 2006

Today was a hard, long but excellent day.

I met 4 members of the West Seattle contingent of the Viking Cyclists this morning at Chelan Cafe and we rode from there to Tacoma and back for a 65 mile ride with 4000 feet of climbing. Ruth is riding the Tour de Cure this weekend in California.

I was quite nervous about it but made the decision to show up and see if I could hang. I found out shortly that they are much stronger riders than I but they were also quite kind, regrouped often and taught me a lot.

As well as being a good physical challenge, it was good mental training too. The thought "I am the weakest rider in this group" came into my head too often and I worked hard to turn that into "What a good opportunity to ride with stronger riders who are patient and willing to teach me. I am going to learn so much today."

At the end of the ride, I continued on down to Alki point to get in my final 5 miles to make it 70. Then I bricked it and ran for 20+ minutes. My transition was unfortunately a little longer than 5 minutes because I was told to move my car before it got towed.

70 Mile Bike Ride @ 04:45:00
128a, 233m

Transition @ 00:07:00

2+ Mile Run @ 00:22:10
148a, 183m

No comments: