Saturday, May 13, 2006

Today's Skagit Spring Classic Century was a beautiful and fun ride. It was sunny throughout and some of the views quite breathtaking. We stopped at rest stops every 20 miles or so to stretch and re-charge. It was not too hilly and we struggled only three times in the ride. Once in the middle when the road was made out of rough chip seal and we were climbing up in a headwind, I convinced Ruth to paceline with me and that helped. Near the end, we had a flat and beautiful tailwind and I just took off. In my joy, I missed a turn and Ruth ended up having to chase me for about a mile -- she did not have much left in her legs and that sprint was not something she wanted to do. The ride back was a bit unpleasant against the wind with a slighly cranky girlfriend.

Finally, the headwind during the last 5 miles really picked up and I crawled to the finish at 11 mph. During the difficult times, I worked on my attitude and turned my thoughts around into it being good training experiences. We were done right at 4:30-- when the spaghetti dinner was supposed to end and we were SO HUNGRY but I still had a run to do. I strapped on my running shoes and took off -- there was a gravel path close, and I took it to the end (slightly over half a mile). I figured the end of the gravel path was a good sign and I turned around to try to get some spaghetti dinner. The good news is that I felt quite strong at the end and did not suffer during my (shortened) run.

100 Mile Bike @ 07:00:00
117a

1 Mile Run Brick @ 00:10:34
137a, 176m

No comments: