Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Tour de Cure went really well today! The weather cooperated, the signage and support were first rate and my riding partners simply exceptional.

Rolf, Jeff and I rode the 50 mile Tour de Cure route and left shortly before 9 AM. I made it up Inglewood Hill on my single speed! I was so psyched about it. Jeff had mentioned something about collecting dimes from Inglewood Hill walkers and that planted a seed in my stubborn brain that I was not going to part with that dime. And it nearly killed me -- I was sucking wind for a very long time after summiting -- my biceps hurt from gripping the handlebars. But I now have something to brag about.

Of course that pales in comparison to the chivalry and accomplishments of my riding companions. Rolf got a flat at the top of Inglewood and it took me a bit of time before I realized that they were no longer following me. Jeff stayed with Rolf and had his tire off and had almost completely fixed the flat before I got to them. Shortly after that, we came across another cyclist with a flat and Jeff was off his bike fixing that right away with Rolf's attentive assistance.

The weather was beautiful and the ride relaxing and fun -- we averaged about 10-12 mph. Rolf, who had never ridden more than 30 flat miles, was steady throughout the entire hilly 50 mile ride. And he was not even sore the next day! What a kick ass athlete. Jeff was just a wonderful riding companion and we had a lot of fun chatting -- and realizing how many scary similarities we have ... and he was happy to accompany me on the hill repeats we did while Rolf pushed his bike up two of the longer steeper grades.

50 Mile Bike Ride @ 04:00:00

No comments: