Friday, August 25, 2006

The house we are renting up here in Summerland is just wonderful. A block away from a public access beach on the lake -- quiet and away from all the buzz in town. We went for a swim this morning but the water was really choppy! I swam for about 20 minutes and Ruth continued to get in a good workout despite being batted around like a ping pong ball.

Then we went into town to register and pick up my packet. Fortunately, the crowds were quite light as many of the almost 2500 athletes had not yet arrived. The process was quite dialed in and I was able to navigate pretty quickly through it. At one point, there was a dreaded weigh-in. So off I went to a platform with a couple of bathroom scales on it guarded by some sweet volunteers who marked down the weight. I hopped on and my "weigher" looked at the scale, looked at me and looked at the scale again. Then she asked me "is that right?" I said, "pretty much." She looked down again. "Are you sure?" I said "yup". "After another up and down, she finally said "Well, it looks good on you love."

:) That made my day.

Walked around the Athlete's Village a bit and did some shopping (picked up something for you -- Jeff) and then walked around town while Ruth got in a lift at the gym. After that, a very late lunch and I was glad to escape the increasing buzz of some very nervous and chatty athletes....

No comments: