Saturday, January 06, 2007

I was pretty bummed last night when trying to rent skate skis for my first Introduction to Skate Ski Class on Saturday morning. REI in Seattle was sold out and Marmot was the only other store that rented skate skis -- and they were going to close before I got there and did not open until 10:00. I figured I could not go to the class and let Charlie, the instructor know.

He left me a voice mail message last night late and when I talked to him this morning, he said I could come at 12:30 when there were teaching another class -- and they had enough instructors to have someone work with me :)

So stay tuned....my first skate ski lesson report coming soon :)
____________________________________________

I managed to get my rental from Marmot and make it to the Sno Park early for the 12:30 class. It was delayed a bit because the pass had been closed for a bit because of a snow slide and the early class was still going. Fortunately, there was one other person who missed the Skate Ski class and the two of us received a very individualized lesson.

I did learn that I have not one ounce of natural talent for skate skiing (not surprised but it would have been nice -- I have yet to discover my natural talent aside from a large capacity for being stubborn). For two hours, we went back and forth on a small section of snow -- "hips forward", "lead with the knees", "keep core stable -- no twisting" etc. I asked the instructor at the end of the class were to practice and he suggested the "Iron Horse Trail" and advised me to get there early to avoid the crowds.

So I did not have a good time but am determined to go through all three lessons and see if this is something I can learn how to do. I can see what excellent cross-training it can be.

No comments: