Tuesday, February 27, 2007

For the first time this morning, we decided not to get in a workout and instead had a leisurely cup of coffee before heading into breakfast.

Went out for an easy two hour ride on the course and nearly got blown over while in my aero-bars when a truck passed. It was good for me to remind myself that I am not that coordinated, especially in a cross-wind and I need to remember to stay in the bike position I am most comfortable with -- not the one I everyone else is in.

@ 25 Mile Ride @ 01:48:00

I wrote out some notes for my race plan and just realized I forgot to bring them into town. Here is what I remember...

I have three goals for this event:
  • My pace, my race (do not get flustered by everyone who passes me)
  • Stick to my nutrition plan (eat and/or drink every 15 minutes)
  • Celebrate being in New Zealand (enjoy the scenery and then experience)

Days before the race:

  • Stay away from other twitchy triathletes and do not engage in conversations with them if it turns into a bragging session.
  • Take a water bottle with me everywhere I go and sip often.
  • Stretch every night.

Race Eve:

  • Lay out clothing
  • Spray on sunscreen
  • Put together food and drinks
  • Stretch
  • Avoid too much salt
  • Try not to alienate Ruth too much with my pre-crankiness...

Race Morning:

  • Wake up early and have coffee while relaxing and stretching
  • Then eat oatmeal and banana. Sip water.
  • Body-glide EVERYTHING I can reach.
  • Breathe
  • Eat 1/2 a power bar with water at 6:15-6:30
  • Make sure watch is set to 15 minute intervals.

Swim:

  • Keep it at my pace but draft when I see an opportunity
  • Sight over speed (site more often than I want to -- this will pay as I tend to swim zig zag)
  • Jog easy from the water to T1.

T1:

  • Put on bike clothing (probably jersey) and shoes.
  • Eat other half of power bar.
  • Drink some water

Bike: (break into quarters)

  • Q1: This will probably have a sweet tailwind. Enjoy the ride and eat/drink every 15)
  • Q2: This will hurt more because of the tailwind. Keep focused on high cadence and nutrition. Finish 2/3 of shake and at least one power bar.
  • Q3: Maybe a break but the cross winds will pick up so continue to keep it at my pace. If my back starts screaming, get off the bike and stretch. Continue to eat.
  • Q4: This will be the worst but remember the sweet downhill stretch waiting for me at the end. Do NOT obsess on how few people are left on the course and soak up the scenery.

T2:

  • Change shirts, and put sunglasses in bag.
  • Bodyglide and Moleskin
  • Put on visor and fuel/water belt.

Run:

  • This is happy hour time! Alternate Margarita Clif Blocks and water with energy drink.
  • Enjoy how much more energy I feel because I earned it from eating and drinking regularly on the bike.
  • Run 15, walk 1-3.
  • Smile and encourage others.
  • Do not get discouraged by the number of people who are ahead of me or gloat at the number of people I want to believe are behind me.

Post Race:

  • Extra dirty martini :) (okay, maybe some recovery food first and martini the night after...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Seujan - I'm toasting you from here!!! What an awesome accomplishment!

P.S. I've seen 2 buttons on a toilet recently in an internat'l airport - believe it or not, there was a sign noting that they were for "#1 and #2"! I thought it was a pretty weird concept.