Saturday, June 09, 2007

This morning, Jeff met me at 5:00 AM and we drove to Wenatchee to ride the Apple Century thinking that we could avoid the rain in Seattle.

The ride started off well and even though it was a bit overcast, the temperature was quite pleasant and I rode in shorts and a short sleeve jersey. At the last minute, I put my light jacket in my back pocket to ensure that there would be sun.

It turned out to be an out and back ride but what I did not know (and I did not read the ride information ) was that the out was actually up a mountain pass. We spent the first half of the ride riding uphill but the first 15 miles offered us a nice tailwind. As we rode to the rest stop at the top that was a few miles away from the turn-around point, the temperature continued to drop and the light sprinkles we felt throughout the ride turned into steady rain.

We pulled into the rest stop and got some food and water before heading back down the pass. I vetoed continuing the extra few miles to the turn around point because I was soaked and cold and at that point, my crankiness over-ruled my ego.

I pretty much freaked on the descent. It was steep and winding. I was cold and the road was wet. I lost a lot of speed and even though I talked to myself the entire time to calm down, I rode the brakes.

But the ride ended well despite my not making the best choices about hydration and nutrition. I spent some good time in my aerobars and visualized riding the Ironman course. We had a terrific time and it was a wonderful way to spend the day.

94 Mile Ride @ 06:00:00

No comments: