Saturday, August 02, 2008

I decided to get in my long run today and got a terrific idea from Katie and Diana on a route -- the Snoqualmie Valley Trail. It was billed as a 22.8 mile out and back. Jen and I drove to Nick Loutsis Park in Carnation and I took off right away while she took some time to get ready for her 11 mile run.

They warned me that even though it looked flat, it was a slight uphill grade on the way out but I was very cool with that and looked forward to the downhill on the way back. The weather was just perfect -- overcast with occasional misting shower. I hit the end of the trail before 11 miles and could not remember what the book said to do at that point, so I did a couple of out and back on some trails but still had not hit the right time before I turned around. On my way back, I saw a group of mountain cyclists coming off a side trail and asked them where it went. They told me it was about 3/4 of a mile long and I said "perfect - thanks!" and took off for a little bit of real trail running.

I was starting to get pretty tired after 18 miles but was happy that my breathing was still good and my pace remained consistent. I had held a 10 minute pace on the way out (there were occasional markers) and closer to a 9-9:30 on the way back. At the end, I saw the most beautiful sight -- the blue porta-potty at the park and it just beckoned me to the finish.

22.5 Mile Run @ 03:45:00

No comments: