Thursday, February 12, 2009

For a bike workout this morning, I tried another of Tri Harder's workouts. I believe it was called Sweatfest and she was not exaggerating. Did a lot of climbing as well as some sprinting. One part that made me laugh out loud was when she was pushing us to go faster and instructed us to visualize a cyclists ahead...and on the leg of that cyclist is the number of OUR age group :)

Spin Workout @ 00:55:00

I have an appointment with my Dr. this afternoon to take a look at my foot and then I plan to drop my bike at Speedy Reedy and run around Lake Union (if I am cleared) right after before going home and back to work.

I love my doctor for many reasons but this visit was one of my favorites. She walked into the room and said, "so you decided to run 18 miles on a rolled ankle?!?" -- her tone the equivalent of a slap upside the back of the head. And on it went. She was the voice of reason and made no attempt to hide her sarcasm at whatever questions I had such as exactly when will it heal? can I run a marathon next month? if I got a brace at a drugstore, would that help? if I rest for 2 more days, can I run 20 miles on Sunday? Finally she said, "believe me, if I could give you a shot and send you on your way, I WOULD."

So basically I did stretch out a tendon that happens to get stretched when people roll their ankles but because I could bear weight, there was no need for an x-ray. The pain I felt on Monday was because my body changed my stride because my ankle hurt. She also said, "and I know this may sound crazy, but try running ONE mile and see how it feels and go from there". Her prescription is to run if I feel good and STOP when I feel pain. She only had to say that 17 times ... And she finished with this gem combined with an eye roll. "And if you really want to buy a Bartell's brace, be my guest."

So I ran around Greenlake and the foot/ankle felt good.

3.2 Mile Run @ 00:28:00

No comments: