Saturday, May 16, 2009

I was up until midnight last night because of an urgent work issue and then got a 5:30 AM call this morning about another one. By the time we were able to work it out, I had missed my planned 7 AM and back up 8 AM start time. But I decided to go to Marymoore and still ride the ADA century route as I had planned -- just with a 9 AM start time.

The route was beautiful and I had a great ride. I was actually glad for the late start once I made it through the 45 mile crowd because I got the roads to myself most of the ride :) This time, I really did focus on nutrition and started with a thick concoction of Perpeteum and 3.5 energy bars. I was able to poach some water at the rest stops but also stopped at a store on the route to get another water and enjoyed a nice iced tea.

I worked to keep my pace and nutrition steady and consistent and achieved it! I got a little cranky about the hills near the end and did throw some not nice thoughts towards the skinny sadistic route designer. However, I was very happy to finish strong and with some energy to spare! To be clear, just some energy. Definitely didn't have a marathon in me but not bad for my first century :) I looked at my notes from last year's ride and had done the 70 mile route at a 15.2 pace. This year, I did the 100 at a 15.1 pace so I feel pretty good about that :)

100 Mile Ride @ 06:30:00 (> 6000 ft of elevation)

1 comment:

ann said...

Nice job today! we missed having you with us. We only had 2300 ft of elevation.
next week we have 90 and we're thinking of doing some of 12 hills of Kirkland.